Friday, September 21, 2018

A Bounty of Blessings in Bweya!

Friday, September 21, 2018
Mom and I (Sarah) arrived in Uganda late lastnight/ early this morning. We were tired but beyond excited to finally be back.
We grabbed some much-needed sleep before heading to the Ekissa compound this morning.  I’ve been waiting for this moment for months.  Phase I of Ekissa Model School has been completed and filled with children, and now Phase II of the school is nearing completion.  How could 2 ½ years have gone by since I was last in the Pearl of Africa! 
Just prior to leaving for Bweya Village, Mark asked, “What are you expecting to see when you arrive at the land?”…I was unsure of what to expect but filled with anticipation.  Sure, I exchange various forms of communication with our staff in Uganda several times a week.  I know growth and expansions have taken place—I’ve even seen pictures.  However, one thing is for sure…there is nothing like being here and seeing these projects in person! 
Our van turned off the main road and continued down a dry, red-clay easement.  We rounded the curve and what stood in front of me took my breath.  I was in utter disbelieve of all God had done and overwhelmed with emotion…students wearing collared red/ white striped uniform shirts and gray pants/ skirts/ dresses, waved with excitement as they stood on the veranda of the pail yellow painted stucco finished school.  The Ekissa Model School logo image, beautifully painted on the side of this newly constructed school greets every visitor to it’s campus. 
We were ushered into each classroom to greet the children and respective teachers.  So many beautiful, eager smiles filled with a hope for their tomorrow. We didn’t spend a lot of time with the students as today was a day for me to simply take it all in.
As I was coming out of the last classroom, I was introduced to Martin.  Martin is a young man who has received his degree in agriculture and is the individual who runs our small farm.  I had previously been informed that the farm had expanded from simply being a “piggery” (pig farm).  Martin guided me through the farm which now contains 3 pregnant sows,  1 sow that as recently given birth, one boar, 4 piglets, 4 rabbits, a pen filled with chickens, and our first young calf (cow).  Additionally, Martin has planted a small banana plantation, 8 orange trees, among several other fruits and vegetables. It was an amazing sight! This farm is working towards self-sustainability.  Martin informed me that several individuals have approached him after seeing his success, requesting that he train them.  So Martin is not only running the farm, he volunteers to train other young men to begin setting up their own farms.  After teaching them at our farm, he regularly visits the young farmers to remain informed of their progress as well as to ensure the health of their new animals.  This farm is indeed a blessing…not simply to the Ekissa community, but to the community at-large.  I love Martin’s passion for creativity, ingenuity, vocational training, economic development and sustainability!
Our first day was GREAT! I’m emotionally drained at all the goodness and blessings that have been realized today.  I remain humbled at the level of these blessings---my heart is overflowing!
I will try to upload some pics tomorrow as I chose not to take any today.  I simply wanted to be “in the moment” and take it all in.


No comments:

Post a Comment