Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday


Usher so happy to have his shoes!
His boys shoes, brought more excitement to Abbey than his own. 

Thanks so much to Fleet Feet of Winston Salem, NC for their
generous shoe donation.



Our first full day on the ground was nice and relaxing.  We spent the day visiting old friends and sharing the gift of shoes with the smiling faces in the above pictures.  Abbey was one of the first individuals I met when traveling to Bweya in 2009. He is a teacher and a caregiver of these boys who were orphaned with no place to go.  ekissa is incredibly thankful for individuals like Abbey,  who accept the Biblical mandate of caring for orphans.  I also what to thank Keith and Emily Davis of Fleet Feet of Winston Salem, for donating the shoes for these kids.

The team was also blessed in being able to assist this "family" with much needed clothes and medical supplies, thanks to the financial donations from many friends of ekissa.  Can you imagine the budget it takes to feed and clothe this house of growing boys! 


Debbie had the opportunity today to spend some time with Eddie and Usher, biological brothers of Edith and Derrick.  The following was her experience:

 I am always a little nervous when I first get to see Eddie and Usher. There's still a part of me that wonders if they'll remember me---have they grown hardened to the fact that they remain in Africa, while their siblings are "living the good life in the US?" Are their days so hard that my mere visit will fail to impact them? All those thoughts vanish when I see their smiling faces. 
In my heart, these 2 boys are my sons as well.  I look at them and see the same smiles on their face as Edith and Derrick.
  
At Abbey's home, six boys share a room filled with bunk beds.   Under each bed there's a box which contains each boys belongings.  Usher and Eddie were both so proud to show me their belongings. There was one item that took me completely by surprise. 

Eddie, age 8, had a very dirty, well worn stuffed kitten on his bed. I asked him where it came from. It was a kitten that was given to Edith when she and Derrick went to live with Abbey (while we were going through the adoption process) He has been sleeping with it since Edith came to the US. 

I was immediately overwhelmed with emotion. My first realization was that I was looking at something that belonged to my daughter before I knew her. My second emotion was utter grief, as I looked at the small trinket this young boy had held onto, as a way to retain the memory of his sister. 

This realization cemented my commitment to Eddie and Usher  as I recognized their tremendous void.  There is a day coming, when a great reunion of siblings will be experienced. These four children remain family. While they may age on different continents, they will recognize themselves in the eyes of their siblings. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing the beautiful smiles!
    And for sharing so deeply from your heart...
    Praying continually...

    ReplyDelete